Sunday, April 5, 2009

Natural nail polish remover - the search is over

I know this blog is typically about food, I do want to incorporate various "green", earth-friendly topics.  I have been searching for a non-toxic, formaldehyde-free, acetone/acetate-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free, synthetic fragrance-free, vegan nail polish remover with very little success.  

I've come close in my internet search, though.  I almost succumbed to No Miss brand, which seemed to very closely match my preferences, even though it has some sort of so-called "natural" vanilla scent, which I normally stay away from because it never seems to really be natural.  It was the company's website that was the downfall, with a clunky checkout system that did not seem secure (no "https" in the URL) and linked to my IP address instead.  Scary.  Hmm, I will not give my credit card information in that shady scenario.

Okay, just now, and after spending way too much time searching and comparing, I settled on Suncoat Naturals for $9.99 and $3 shipping from Canada.    It is paraben-free, not tested on animals (is it vegan? can't confirm but hope so), non-toxic, biodegradable, non-GMO, contains no petroleum ingredients, and acetone/acetate-free.  That's as close as I can get to my dream nail polish remover.  

Check out this link for more info: 

And now, if only I could find a spa or nail salon that uses actual natural products (polish, polish remover, creams) for manicures and pedicures.  Now, that would be a find.   Until then, I am on my own.  That's okay.  It will save me some green, after all.

If you have any better product suggestions, I am all ears! 

*Update* I received my nail polish remover very promptly in just a few days after ordering.  While it did take more elbow grease to first saturate my toe nails in order remove my polish  (from an old pedicure with "traditional"nail polish) at a few minutes time per toe, it was worth it.  The product has a light, pleasant smell, and not the usual, acrid smell of traditional, chemical-laden remover.  Also, my nails are not dry from using the Suncoat remover, as they would be with the chemical stuff.   Win-win!

1 comment:

Gel-Nails said...

Good information.

I came across many queries in several forums where people have been asking for advice on the best glue that can be used on nails and that is not only strong but also safe on nails. This was the same question I had sometime back when I used to apply nail gel myself. Initially the glue I got would never hold on the way it used to when done in the salon. I then came across the nail glue being sold on gel-nails which lasts very long and is pretty easy to apply. It provides a strong bonding for my nails and also does a great job in repairing the nail tips.

Most important of all is that this is strong glue I was actually looking out for and this is used by nail salons and nail artists for professional applications. It is available at a cheap price at gel-nails and I remember seeing it at a discount of 74% which is great. Maybe this can help if you also face problems relating to poor glue quality as I did earlier.