Monday, April 6, 2009

Natural ant remedy

Another fruitless search.  I dug around online to find a natural, non-toxic remedy for getting rid of those pesky ants I noticed in my kitchen a few days ago.   I found one that consisted entirely of cornmeal, which I happened to have in my pantry and thought, great, let's try it.  All was fine for awhile and I only saw a few random ants with my mounds of cornmeal on the kitchen floor warding them away until my dog, Snoozy, discovered the delicious cornmeal "treats" sprinkled where he is normally fed.   Needless to say my dog loves cornmeal (who knew?) and lapped it up almost as quickly as I put it down, on the sly, usually after I left the room.  So much for that.  At least it was a natural remedy considering how much Snoozy consumed.

Suggestions?

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Hi Gillian. Check out this link from PETA:

http://www.helpinganimals.com/wildlife_livingwithants.asp

They recommend a product called Orange Guard (to be sprayed around the area they are in, but not directly on the ants). They also give some natural remedies.

Good luck!

Gillian said...

Thanks so much for the tip!

ashley said...

Hey Gillian.
I randomly found your site through a Google search for "Vegan Homeopathic Cold Remedies!" WEIRD! I live in South Plainfield, took the train out of Metuchen for school for years. I dig your blog. HAD to comment on this entry, as I tried scented baby powder this summer. I sprinkled a decent amount around the window sills and outside the screen door in the backyard. It worked really well and is cruelty-free :)
Check out my blog at ontheroadashley.blogspot.com, if you wish.
Now, I'm off to buy some Umcka Coldcare!
Cheers.

Gillian said...

Hi Ashley, Thanks for finding my blog and posting. So glad you are enjoying it! I hope you feel better soon! I will check out your blog, too... :)