Monday, January 5, 2009

Su's Restaurant (Edgewater, NJ) VEG

To begin with, let me explain the larger surroundings of this restaurant.  Edgewater, NJ is a beautiful, waterfront town across from the NYC skyline and though this restaurant is in a strip mall, don't let that sway you because it is in good company, along with Trader Joe's and is down the street from Whole Foods, some good eating neighbors!  

Inside the restaurant, the setting is minimalist and zenlike with brown and beige neutral-toned walls with pops of red lighting accents.    The menu, physically is very cool; it's a heavy wooden menu totally in harmony with the surroundings.   Throughout the all vegetarian, Pan-Asian inspired menu, dairy, vegan and nut dishes are noted with abbreviations, though they are not defined anywhere, so we asked the waitress.  

For an appetizer, I was pleased with my Vietnamese summer rolls ($6) served with some tangy, sweet clear dipping sauce.   The rolls were served cold and raw, which was a surprise.  Next time, I may ask for them to be pan-fried.  My dining companion, Kerri, had the orange-infused guacamole appetizer ($5), which was also a pleasure to eat.   Both appetizers were served on geometric-shaped plates making for good presentation.  This is a great place for tapas or small plates for sharing.

My entree was delectable;  I continued to rave about it long after the meal ended. I had mushrooms prepared crispy, tempura style with sweet potatoes and cashews (a substitution for raisins) for $12, a dish I normally would not eat because it is fried but I made an exception and I am glad I did.  I should note that the menu did not mention the tempura preparation, actually, I think it said it was grilled but I am not positive.  I scraped the plate clean.  It was a delicious combination of flavors, plain and simple.   Kerri had the risotto with mushrooms and onions, ($9) which I thought was fine, but had too many onions for her liking and not enough flavor for her taste.    

The only slight con I have to report was the service was so-so.  I was basically dying of thirst and the waitress took a long time to bring me another iced tea, which I asked for twice. That's really it.

I wish I had room for dessert, but I didn't.  One of the reasons to go back.

Su's Restaurant
725 River Road
Edgewater,NJ
www.surestaurant.com  (currently under construction, but was not a few weeks ago when I dined there)
Menu can be found at:
(201) 840-7988

No comments: