Sunday, January 4, 2009

il Laboratorio del Gelato (Lower East Side, NYC) VF

Stop #1 of my Lower East Side eating extravaganza (all three places are in close proximity, especially the first two which are only one or two short blocks apart, and it’s about a ten-fifteen minute walk to the third stop). 

Holy flavors of gelato and sorbet!  Flavors change every day as they make the flavors fresh daily inside and when I went, they offered olive oil, chocolate mint, which was white rather than green for purists with hunks of chocolate, chocolate kahlua, espresso, toasted almond, toasted coconut, egg nog (it was Christmas Eve, after all), and dark chocolate to name a few.   I didn’t really notice the sorbet flavors, I was fixated on the gelato I must admit.  I tasted the toasted almond, which was excellent and unlike any other flavor I’ve had before.  I was unable to purchase a scoop of it, however, because it was almost all gone. So, I ended up buying a small cup with two scoops, one scoop of chocolate kahlua and the other scoop of espresso, both great choices.  The chocolate kahlua was rich and creamy and the espresso popped with intense coffee flavor.  

The shop is really just a window displaying all the flavors ready to be scooped, customers are not allowed inside the store so be ready to eat outside in the cold, like I did.  But, I did not mind, even though it was a chilly 30-something degrees outside – that’s how good this place is.   Oh, and there was a line when I arrived there – yes, in the middle of winter, there was a line at the gelato place.  That says it all.  People are passionate about good gelato and sorbet and this shop does not disappoint. 

The gelato is not vegan unfortunately, but vegetarians will most definitely enjoy.

il Laboratorio del Gelato

95 Orchard St.

(between Broome & Delancey Sts)

New York, New York

www.laboratoriodelgelato.com/

212-343-9922

2 comments:

Demetrius said...

I recommend Lula's and Stogo for vegan ice cream and gelato respectively for your next visit.

Happy New Year!

Gillian said...

Thanks Demitrius, it's so hard to find vegan ice cream or gelato. Happy New Year, too!