Sunday, January 4, 2009

Counter NY (Lower East Side, NYC) VEG


Stop #3 of my Lower East Side eating extravaganza

Truth be told, I really wasn’t that hungry by this point, but I was on a mission. 

What a cool, organic wine and martini bar and vegetarian restaurant combo.   Interesting techno music vibe that turned decidedly more mellow, with cool, rustic atmosphere with wood floors and neat low slung  chairs, and retro diner bar stools. 

The menu was really a unique combination of flavors and it, as usual, took some time for me to figure out what I wanted.  The waitress was patient and explained all the dishes I inquired about.   I started off with a very nice glass of Chilean pinot noir for $12/glass (so nice that I opted for two, by the end of the meal).   The cocktails menu was really, interesting, you need to check it out on the website…very descriptive and inventive, some of which could make you blush.  Note the world’s most expensive organic martini for $665.  There is no decimal point missing and they donate the proceeds.   They offered lots of organic wines and beers and homemade red and white sangria, too.

I really could not decide what to get for an appetizer since I wasn’t that hungry due to my prior stops and a few of the selections were deep fried in their preparation, such as the mushroom medley and the winter squash wontons, and I tend to shy away from deep fried foods.  I only discovered this by asking questions, it wasn’t clear from the menu.     I ended up ordering the vegetable tasting mosaic ($19), which included braised fennel, brussel sprouts, chard, whipped maple sweet potatoes, sauteedcarrots, portabella mushroom roulade, escarole and more.  It was a healthful, tasty and satisfying concoction.  It came with a side of steamed, spiced quinoa, which was not very spicy.  Unfortunately for me, I had no room for dessert, even though I had my eye on a few, it was a toss-up between the chocolate fondue ($14) and chocolate tart ($8).  Yes, I will be back and I plan to come hungry next time around.

Counter NY

105 First Ave (bet. 6th and 7th)

www.counternyc.com

212-982-5870

No comments: