Monday, November 24, 2008

Stage Left (New Brunswick, NJ) - 5 Livingston Ave.

I have wanted to check out this chic restaurant in downtown New Brunswick, NJ for some time now; however, the hefty price tag for a meal at this consistently highly touted establishment kept me at bay.  Enter OpenTable's "appetite stimulus plan" (last week) to the rescue, where participating NJ and NYC restaurants offered 3-course lunches and dinners for $25 and $35, respectively.  Count me in, at last!

Now, I need to clarify that this is not a traditional vegetarian restaurant (in fact, it is quite the opposite), however, the staff made accommodations for me, which I confirmed in advance of dining and that is why I can review Stage Left in this space. 

So refined.  I am glad I dressed up and not in my usual well-worn jeans.  I would have felt out of place. The room I dined in, which was one of several dining rooms, was surrounded by wines bottles from the floor to ceiling, bookcase style.    Classical music fluttered lightly in the background.  Tres elegant.  Another dining room I explored had a lovely fireplace and the bar area, near the entrance, was small yet pretty.

To round out my experience, I opted for the $14 wine pairing since the wine list is extensive and award winning, I needed to try it. 

Service was attentive, as I expected it would be.  Before the first course, another waiter offered me a non-vegetarian friendly tart compliments of the kitchen.  I explained that I was vegetarian and they ultimately substituted it for a mushroom tart that was flaky, light and tiny.  I should mention that this same server mistakenly told me the second tart- the mushroom tart- was tuna on the second attempted serving, almost causing another trip back to the kitchen, but was corrected by my server when the tart was inspected.   I wish that experience were more cohesive.

My first course was an acorn squash soup with mushrooms and pumpkin oil.  The soup was good, very creamy and thus, filling with some cranberries which complemented nicely.  Not something I would normally order though it was tasty. The wine pairing was a white from Austria's Hirsch vineyards and was clean, crisp and refreshing.   A lovely accompaniment. 

The second course was a mini pumpkin cored and stuffed with Israeli couscous and mushrooms, surrounded by pumpkin puree drizzle.  This was a substitution they happily offered to me.  I absolutely loved it and devoured it, even the pumpkin flesh.  The wine pairing was a chardonnay (either Hartwick or Hartwig vineyards, not sure), which was a bit tart, like apples.    

Dessert was vanilla creme brulee.   I would have opted for the molten valrhona chocolate cake or the beignet with espresso cream, but I can't complain.  The creme brulee was excellent, with a perfectly creamy middle and crunchy top layer and the taste reminded me of toasted marshmallows, which I no longer eat but apparently still like.  I was completely stuffed by this point.    

When the bill came, I was surprised to see a 20% gratuity was already included.  I thought this was only done for large parties.  Am I mistaken?  Is this normal procedure for fancy restaurants and maybe something I am not familiar with?  I would have tipped 20% anyway, but I am left wondering.

Overall, the ambience was amazing as was the service.  The food was all very good but not entirely satisfying since I did not get to choose what I preferred to eat.  Of course, I knew that going in and it was the "sacrifice" I agreed to in exchange for value-friendly dining.   

www.stageleft.com
732-828-4444


No comments: