Friday, November 28, 2008

Le Grainne Cafe - 183 9th Ave (corner of 21st St.), NYC (Chelsea neighborhood)


I dined here for lunch today as a backup choice. The restaurant I intended on dining at was closed, which provided the perfect opportunity for me to check out this adorable French café, which is next door and that I had wanted to try anyway.  I normally do not associate French food with vegetarian options, but I made it work, as you'll read in a moment. It is definitely not the best place for vegans, though.

I felt like I stepped into a café in Paris once inside; the décor was of a country rustic motif and charming with wooden tables and floors. It was vibrant and lively, busy with lots of customers in the cozy space (the picture was taken on the way out, after the rush slowed down). I liked the orange tiled walls and the maps of France and other artwork and photos depicting scenes of France on the walls. You may end up at a table with others, as I did, depending on how busy they are. The kitchen is open alongside the side of the restaurant. The only thing that seemed out of character was the eighties pop music in the stereo at the beginning of my meal.

I ordered the ratatouille side dish ($5.50) as an appetizer and the valhrona chocolate and banana crepe ($7) as my meal. (Yes, dessert was my entrée. Anyone who knows me will understand.) The ratatouille starter was a flavor burst of tomatoes, zucchinis, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Just perfect, and quite filling, too. The crepe was divine, and not too sweet due to the dark (homemade) chocolate and was stuffed with bananas. I should have taken a picture of it, but I thought of it too late as I had eaten most of it by that time. As a side note, they keep water in a wine bottle on the table, so don't ask for water like I did. They also served delicious bread, a panini (I think).

www.legrainnecafe.com
(646) 486-3000 
Hours: Mon-Sat 8am-12am

No comments: