Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sahara Cafe (New Brunswick, NJ) VF



Ah, the lovely smell of aromatic Mediterranean spices, even from outside this BYOB restaurant, invites me inside for more.  I should note, there are tables outside on a stone patio for warm weather dining.  Once inside, the warm decor was welcoming -- beautiful painted landscapes, some floor-to-ceiling, and relaxing music easily transported me to another land.   As I surveyed the interior, I noticed all the decor details that have been carefully considered - the chandeliers were crafted from a brassy metal to look like hot air balloons.   Huge windows, with a view of bustling Easton Ave. (one of the main streets around the Rutgers University New Brunswick campus) and skylights add lots of natural light and there is additional seating upstairs.  It was nicely crowded when I dined with Emilio, a former co-worker of mine.   

I must admit, choosing what to order for dinner was a challenge in this Mediterranean mecca because there were so many options that tempted me.  Ultimately, in order to accommodate my indecisiveness, I ended up with several appetizers, some of which we shared, and a salad.     The appetizers included: hummus with spiced ezme for $5.75, sigara boregi -- a pan-fried phyllo roll stuffed with feta and dill for $4.95, feta and tomato toast (approximately $5.00) and tahini shepherd's salad for $6.95.   Among the other vegetarian choices were a roasted eggplant entree for $11.95 and a zucchini (carrot and feta) patty for $10.95. You can understand why I had a hard time deciding.   I did love the food; the feta and tomato toast was all melty goodness, the salad was swimming in tahini, maybe a tad too much though I appreciated the extra for leftovers the next day and the (slightly) spicy hummus, which came with pita, was a hit with both myself and Emilio.   

You can't beat the array of options, the reasonable prices and the lovely, inviting atmosphere.  I will be back for dinner.  Soon.

Sahara Cafe
165 Easton Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ
(732) 246-3020

No comments: