Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Natural Gourmet Institute Friday Night Vegetarian Dinner (Chelsea, NYC)




This was absolute paradise...I know I am prone to superlatives but this is the real deal. It was like a culinary meditation.   

The Friday night dinners at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Health  & Culinary Arts are apparently quite popular, for good reasons; there was a waiting list of 30 people early in the week.  I was lucky to be squeezed in.  If you do plan to attend a future dinner, I was advised it is best to reserve a spot weeks ahead of time, not days ahead as I did.

Anyway, the dinner is prepared by aspiring chefs attending the culinary program, which stresses natural, organic, and healthful foods. The menu changes weekly so unlike a traditional restaurant, you do not order specific foods or dishes as there are no choices so make sure you peak at the menu before reserving because that's what you are getting.  You can check out upcoming menus on the website (see below for link).    

When I attended, the menu was as follows:
*Assorted tapas: stewed mushrooms, minted eggplant and patatas bravas with aioli
*Roasted fennel and orange salad with herb citrus dressing
*Mixed vegetable paella with black bean sauce and red pepper coulis garnished with sweet potatoes and leeks
*Tres leches cake with rasberry coulis and spiced chocolate truffle

You can bring your own wine or drink the homemade sangria, which is included in the cost of the meal, which is $40/person for all this food and sangria.  I do recommend the sangria.

Start to finish, the meal was as delicious as it was artful.  Truly a delight to the senses.   In particular, I loved the paella and sweet potato entree, taste and presentation-wise (the sweet potato was in a "bird's nest" form - so cool, check the picture). For dessert, the spiced chocolate truffle was delicious and the spice was intensely flavorful and not subtle, as is sometimes, disappointingly, the case with spicy chocolate.   I normally am not a fan of tres leches cake but in this case, I was pleasantly surprised and loved every bite of it.  

As a note, do not expect your own private table, seating is communal style spread across several rooms, with long tables so multiple parties are sitting together.  This worked out great; everyone was so friendly and had so much in common that it felt like a large family.

Since the students are also serving the food, be mindful that the service may not be perfectly attentive but that's certainly okay given all the efforts they put into making the meal itself so special.

After such a lovely experience, the only question on my mind is when can I attend dinner next?

Natural Gourmet Institute
48 W. 21st St. (bet 5th/6th), 2nd floor
New York, NY
(212) 645-5170

6 comments:

Catherine said...

This is my favorite place for vegan dining in NYC. Since the students are cooking, their family members occupy many of the seats. If you're just two, I do find it easier to get squeezed in. I don't think they always have sangria...I've been there three times, and the drinks are up to the students.

Good pix and review! Good luck blogging!

Anonymous said...

Gillian you made my night! I was one of the graduating students who cooked that meal along with 7 other amazing soon to be "chefs." It was such a pleasure to come across your blog! I'm so happy you enjoyed the meal. We put our heart and soul into it and loved every moment of it! Take care!

Gillian said...

Melissa, I am so glad you found my blog, too and posted. If you would like, let me know where you ended up (or end up) working after NGI. I would be glad to review it! Gillian

Anonymous said...

Gillian, I just finished my internship at Dirt Candy on 9th Street b/w 1st Ave. & Ave. A. If you've never been there, it is so worth the trip. All vegetarian, owner graduated from NGI. I've got a blog on food as well...www.mindfulmeals.blogspot.com Once I land somewhere, I'll let you know!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gillian,

I am a graduate of The Natural Gourmet, and I stumbled upon your blog. I love it! I live in Los Angeles now, and I really miss the access to the Natural Gourmet. What a great place. I thought I would share my blog with you as well - http://organicspark.blogspot.com/ Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good finds!

Best, Molly

Gillian said...

Molly, Thanks so much for finding my blog! That is so cool that you used to work at the NGI. I just adored that meal and the experience. I checked out your blog and love it, love it!