Sunday, September 7, 2008

Namaste Cafe (New Brunswick, NJ)

I checked out this really cool vegan cafe in New Brunswick, NJ for dinner last night that was tucked away above a vegetarian co-op/grocer.   What a great find!  The atmosphere is warm and inviting, like sitting in a friend's living room or kitchen, decorated in mellow green and yellow tones on the walls with soothing music playing in the background.   Artwork on the wall depicted people in various yoga poses and there was a drum in the corner.  I can actually feel myself relaxing, as if I am doing the yoga I see on the walls.   The cafe seats 20 at most, I would guess.  This is my kind of place.  

I ate a guacamole wrap, which was excellent; tasty with lots of zing though not large (sized appropriately for lunch), so don't expect mega-portions.  All the ingredients were fresh and of great quality.  Black pepper potato chips came on the side of the wrap.   The dish was reasonably priced at $6.75.  I drank a cup of Divinitea loose tea, which was so fragrant!  Tea was also very reasonably priced at $1.89.  The cafe offers a large selection of fresh juices, organic fair-trade coffees, hot chocolate, hot spiced cider, organic smoothies, wraps, one type of veggie burger, and more.  

This is not like a restaurant where you have traditional waiter/waitress service, instead you order at the counter after checking out the options listed on a board in the front, then your food is prepared in the small kitchen up front and you are served at a table, counter seat or couch.  I must say the service was genuinely friendly, personal and educational, as well.  There was some training of new hires going on while I visited.   I am glad to have ventured out in the Hannah-induced rains to check out this most welcome vegan spot so close to home.  Next time, I need to check out the co-op downstairs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good! Can I get a bacon double cheese burger there?

Gillian said...

Sorry Neil, "meatatarians" need not apply. I am sure the veggie burger ("southwestern" I think) is worth trying though. Here is a link that shows the inside of the cafe.
http://www.getoutnewbrunswick.com/category/free-wifi/

Anonymous said...

Found you through the NJ.com restaurant forum post. Wishing you success with your blog...will check back for future reviews. One suggestion: include the address in your review so those interested in trying the restaurant will know exactly where to go. I found this following other links:

Namasté Café and Organic Juice Bar
Community Center, Vegan Foods
at the George Street Natural Foods Co-op
89 Morris Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Looking forward to trying it the next time I go to GSP.

Cornus