Friday, September 19, 2008

Lora's Tea Room (215 Centennial Ave, Cranford, NJ)

I've been meaning to write this one up for a few days now (my posts do not necessarily reflect the order in which the events occurred).   On Wednesday afternoon,  I wanted to check out this tea house, which coincidentally is very close to my favorite kayaking spot.  I was immediately pleased with the charm the cozy Russian tea house exudes.  Exactly the type of place I was hoping for.   I had the "tea for one" deal for $12, which includes a pot of tea (from a nice variety of loose teas) and tea sandwiches. I opted for the loose rose petal tea and two egg salad and two cucumber sandwiches, a substitution they made when I asked for vegetarian-friendly sandwiches.  Everything was so expertly presented -- sandwiches with the crust cut off and all the finest serving dishes, embossed porcelain teapots, delicate crystal cups and saucers, doilies -- all things frilly.  It was a perfect afternoon so I had my meal outside until it got too hot and noisy from the street.  My tea was pleasant and sandwiches were tasty, even though I normally do not eat white bread. They also serve "blinis" or stuffed crepes; one that caught my eye was stuffed with farmer's cheese for $7. The service from  my waitress was not terribly friendly  however,  the owner (I think she was the owner anyway) went out of her way to be accommodating. I can't find a website for this restaurant, just other reviews.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/loras-tea-room-cranford

No comments: