Monday, December 27, 2010

Dao Palate-Pan Asian Vegan Cuisine for a light dinner (Brooklyn)




Tom Yum Soup (left): nice and spicy, will clear up your sinuses straight away!

Problem was there was vegan (soy) ham
in the soup, which I ate around. I choose
not to eat soy products for a variety of
reasons.








Basil summer roll wrapped in rice paper
with vegan hoisin sauce and peanuts (right):
The sauce was great; I could have eaten it
like a soup. Problem again was the presence
of soy inside the wrap, which I accidentally
ate a few bites of.








Indian pancake (below) with curry dipping sauce: the pancake was greasy
goodness but the curry sauce fell short. It was way too mild and tasteless
for my palate.
Dao Palate seemed so promising on a freezing cold night recently. Nice
ambiance with candlelight and minimalist-inspired decor. Unfortunately,
the servers (yes, two of them) did not listen to my requests for soy-free
dining and that ruined the whole experience. How is this possible when
the restaurant was literally empty otherwise? It was clearly not a question
of being too busy. When I encountered the soy in the soup, I realized
they completely ignored my requests and I was even ignored when I
asked one of the servers about it as if I had not said anything just then.
Only after repeating my question did she say it was "ham".
Not even vegan ham, just "ham". Then, when I looked dumbfounded,
she spelled it "H-A-M". Yes, I heard. I had to then explain to her that
it must be soy-derived since this is a vegan restaurant and reminded
her that I mentioned I didn't eat soy when I ordered. The response
was, tell us next time and we will omit it when we are cooking.
I thought I did that this time, no? How disappointing.

No comments: